TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have friend that is not happy, sad most of time, crys for

I have friend that is not happy, sad most of time, crys for no reason, has no desire to do anything, feels like she is floating, can you tell me what her problem could be and make some recommendations
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like she may have depression. Depression can cause someone to feel sad most of the time, cry a lot and have lack of motivation. Bodily sensations are also normal for depression.

It is important that your friend consider seeing a therapist for an evaluation. The therapist can tell your friend what her diagnosis is and recommend the kind of treatment that is needed. Your friend can also see her doctor for anti depressants until she sees the therapist. This will help her with her symptoms until therapy can take effect.

Support groups are also another option. They can be in person or on line. Just being able to share how she feels with others who understand can make a big difference in how she feels.

Also, learning about depression and how it affects people can make a difference. The more she knows, the better she will be able to help herself. She will know her options and understand the symptoms better.

Along with therapy, your friend can also help herself at home. Here are some resources to help get her started:

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs by Stephen S. Ilardi

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this helps,