mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I feel like my mind is going 10 different directions most of

I feel like my mind is going 10 different directions most of the time. I will talk fast and switch different subjects so spontaneously from one minute to the next. At times I've covered 4 or 5 subjects/topics in a matter of 5 minutes or less. Internally I feel hyper and even in my sleep I seem to operate the same way; I dream many different dreams and switch constantly; I feel like I am in soap opera dream world. I literally have dreams in my dream state...
I don't know if I am just hyper or what....my husband and friends say they can't keep up with me talking about so many things at once. I have been told I probably have adult ADD but, on the other hand, it get a lot accomplished and quite effectively. By afternoon I am drop dead tired and become a couch potato. Do I have adult ADD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good evening. I'm online and would be happy to help. Just let me know when you are back in the room and we can speak further

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

Customer:

I just want an answer to my question

mindhealer :

would you mind if I asked a couple of further questions to answer you best?

Customer:

As long as it doesn't go over the allotted $19

Customer:

I thought you would just answer me with a YES or NO to having adult ADD

mindhealer :

I'm going to open the question for another person to help you. I wish you well and very best of luck.

Customer:

Why opt out. I picked the person on the photo and description.

mindhealer :

You're looking for a yes or no maam...I can't give you an accurate answer without further knowledge and history of your background to give you the most appropriate direction

Customer:

Ask your questions, please.

mindhealer :

Thank you maam. First....is there any history of mental health conditions in your family?

Customer:

No, but I did have a nervous breakdown back in 1981 after my divorce and did get professional treatment.

mindhealer :

Thank you for your answer. Could you elaborate on what you mean by nervous breakdown? was it a depression?

Customer:

I developed extreme depression, lost a lot of weight in a matter of 4 months 155 down to 103, had a very mind controlling husband who instilled a lot of guilt that all came out when I had my breakdown.

mindhealer :

Thank you for sharing that with me. Following receiving treatment. Have you gone through any depressive states since then?

Customer:

No, going through my treatment but the best gift I ever gave myself. I get sad and at time a little depressed but not about me, rather about other people I worry about.

mindhealer :

Understood....I'm very happy to hear it went so well. Now....when did you start to notice this racing in your thoughts and behaviors?

Customer:

Actually, I've always been that way. I tend hyper but never really thought about adult ADD until my husband and friends swear I have an ADD problem because of my fast thinking and speech.

mindhealer :

do you ever experience periods of "crashing" into a depression and cycle between the hyperactivity and depression?

Customer:

I just feel very tired by mid afternoon and try to slow my mind down and relax by watching a silly

Customer:

program on TV.

mindhealer :

thank you. So no depressions, right?

Customer:

No maam, not any that I can honestly own up to.

mindhealer :

sorry....not a maam...but thats ok :)

Customer:

Oops, sorry.

mindhealer :

Im glad to hear no depressions

mindhealer :

no worries

mindhealer :

Finally....do you have any difficulty with concentration or focusing your attention on tasks?

Customer:

Always

mindhealer :

Thank you very much for bearing with me through the questions. I just wanted to be certain to give you an informed answer

mindhealer :

Everything you've noted points to Adult ADHD and the best next step would be to get a referral to see a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis and be evaluated further for medication to help manage the ADHD

Customer:

I have to force myself to finish a task before i start another. I have a bad habit of starting and then jumping into another task without finishing the first one. I am however trying to catch myself and stop myself.

Customer:

Is is something I can just continue coping with? It doesn't really bother me but I guess it agitates my friends - my husband doesn't complain; he is used to me.

mindhealer :

It is....but my thoughts would be you would much more comfortable being treated...but if you're ok with things and how you are then there's really no harm

mindhealer :

It sounds like you've grown used to it...and are comfortable

Customer:

You've been a great help and I will try to work on it harder. I really have managed to live with it and since I was not aware of it until recently, I will be more cognizant and read up on how to help myself. You had been very helpful and well worth the charge.

mindhealer :

Im very happy to hear that Ive helped you. If there is nothing further you can end the chat by clicking ACCEPT button. I wish you the very best :)

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience