mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I have been under an extreme amount of stress lately and already

Customer Question

I have been under an extreme amount of stress lately and already had anxiety. I have had to have numerous medical tests do some problems and worried for several weeks prior to the test and several weeks after. My anxiety was horrible. I was so upset I couldn't eat very much at all. It has been 3 weeks since I got the results back which showed some minor problems but now I am in a cycle of worrying about my health and still am forcing my self to eat. Since June 10th I have lost about 7 lbs and I am worrying about that now and stressing I am eating some but how do I get my appetite back and is it normal to not want to eat when you have this big of bout with anxiety??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 2 years ago.

mindhealer :

Hello. I would be happy to help you and am online now. Let me know when you are back in the chatroom and we can discuss this further

Customer:

I am online

mindhealer :

hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

May I ask a few questions to help gain a better understanding please?

Customer:

Sure

mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

May I ask your age?

Customer:

53

mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

Do you have any history of mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression in the past?

Customer:

Anxiety and when young 21 panic attacks

mindhealer :

Thanks. As for your question. Is the anxiety keeping you from eating or would you say it's more of a fear of eating?

Customer:

I had just been really worried about the medical test colonoscopy and endoscopy I was very fearful of having cancer I was really scared and the week prior to eat was so upset I couldn't or didn't feel like eating had to wait two weeks for biopsy reports which came back okay but those whole two weeks was crying off and on worrying and still did not want to eat. it was and still seems to be the anxiety not afraid of eating it is like I am in a cycle now of anxiety

mindhealer :

I can imagine that period was extremely stressful for you and I'm very sorry you had to go through that. I am glad to hear that everything is ok. Having said that, it sounds as though an association was made between eating and the stress you were experiencing. It sounds as though even though the results are back that the anxiety is still there and it's having a significant impact on your ability to eat now even though everything is ok. Does that sound to be accurate?

Customer:

Yes

mindhealer :

Thank you. Did you give that impression consideration before I brought it up?

mindhealer :

helps to know your level of understanding which is why I ask

mindhealer :

did you receive my last question?

Customer:

I have had times of anxiety before and it affects me that I feel queasy for a few days and don't eat but not for this long of time. It feels like I am still worrying about my health

mindhealer :

In all likeliness....your mind is still worrying about your health and with that connection still present in your thoughts that's likely what's keeping you in that state....presently do you have any pain or GI distress when you eat?

Customer:

Not really it is just like the thought of it makes me ill after I do eat something I seem to feel better

mindhealer :

ok. So it actually sounds more to be what is considered anticipatory anxiety and perhaps even a mild phobia....does that sound right?

Customer:

Health anxiety or phobia of serious illness.. And once my anxiety gets out of control I just keep worrying like now I am worried about the weight loss.

mindhealer :

it actually sounds more along the lines of phobia of an illness despite having objective results that there is no illness

Customer:

That is right

mindhealer :

May I offer a couple of suggestions?

Customer:

Please

mindhealer :

The first would be for you to consider seeing a therapist that is experienced in treating anxiety and phobias....specifically using a cognitive behavioral approach which will help you look closer at the thoughts you're having...whether they be anxiety or phobia driven and helping you to identify any triggers or prompts that bring them on. This approach also will encourage you to use relaxation measures to help you to manage the anxiety better as well as an approach to sever the connection that your mind has formed concerning the phobia which would likely be a systematic desenstization

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

The second would be a workbook that concentrated on anxiety and phobia and utilizes the same theoretical approach I mentioned above....would you like a link to the workbook?

Customer:

Sure

mindhealer :

This is a great resource and would certainly be a good place for you to start.

Customer:

Ok thanks

mindhealer :

Sure. Are there any other questions I can help you with? I want to make sure you have all your questions answered

Customer:

Can stress actually cause you to lose your appetite though

mindhealer :

it's kind of an intricate process. Stress itself can contribute to queeziness and upset stomach which in turn leads to not wanting to eat

mindhealer :

so...in an inderect way...yes it can

Customer:

Ok thanks again

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience