mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I have been trying to do regular exercise with my diagnosis

I have been trying to do regular exercise with my diagnosis of BP and severe depression. I would like to know if this will become easier as my body gets used to the medication.I take 550mg of seroquel & 100mg of lamotragine ( which is being raised every 2 weeks ). Also Clonazepam,1.5mg at bedtime.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the chance to help answer your question. The likely result of your lethargy is related to both the Seroquel as well as the Clonazepam. As long as you remain on the same dosages for a while your body will adjust to them both after a few weeks and your energy level will normalize. Furthermore, once our mood is further stabilized with the Lamictal (which should not be sedating) then you will likely be able to resume your regular exercise schedule.

At this point I imagine it's quite frustrating but the good thing is that once both the medications have built up a therapeutic level in your blood and your body grows used to the medications and your mood becomes more stable and the depression lifts your energy level should increase as well as your motivation which will help you get back to exercising. This is actually a common question and have heard it often from my own patients.

Once their psychiatrist gets them on the best combination of medications and they get more stable then they are able to resume exercising. Having said that I would suggest that you speak further with your physician as some medications can actually be metabolized faster as you exercise. I think you would be ok with the medicines you've mentioned but it's important that your doctor is aware of all physical activities to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment. As you resume your exercising than your mood will likely elevate due to the release of endorphins which could impact your mood stability which is why I suggested that you speak openly with your psychiatrist.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.