mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Hello, I am 59 with Bi Polar 1 and have been in a depressed

I am 59 with Bi Polar 1 and have been in a depressed state now for 7 month. I am in Lithium and also thyroid medicine. Do you have any suggestiond to make this stop.
any suggestions are welcome

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help answer your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the difficulty you're experiencing. Getting out of a depressed state secondary to a bipolar condition is certainly not easy....especially having been in it for the last several months but there are a few things that you can try.

The first option is what is called "behavioral activation" and what that means is that you need to engage yourself in activities that encourage physical and mental activity in order to break the cycle of the depressed state. The first thing that you can do is to make a list of activities that you enjoy and that you can "reasonably do." What I mean by reasonable is that in your depressed state it makes things very difficult so I suggest identifying activities that are reasonable.

Make the list on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easiest and 10 being most challenging. Start off with a plan and intent to accomplish #1; from there that should help your motivation level as well as increase your sense of accomplishment thereby motivating you to begin work on #2. This way you work toward activating yourself by engaging in behavioral activities which will help to get you to start working away from the depressed state.

The trick is to keep working and only rest when you need to. Eventually what will happen is that you will start to feel the depression lift slowly...keep working on the activities one by one

Another consideration is physical exercise, specifically running. As you run it releases endorphins which elevate your mood naturally. If this is not possible then start small by taking a walk in your neighborhood and go from there.

Finally, (and I realize this sounds silly) but watch something on TV or DVD that you find to be very funny. Laughter also releases endorphins which may just be enough to get you started in engaging in the behavioral techniques I mentioned above.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.