mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I want to change and do it quickly and want to know if cbt

I want to change and do it quickly and want to know if cbt would be the best route.
I am bipolar on medication, over 50 post menopausal, have been unemployed the past 3 years, with recent deaths in the family: alcoholic mother 3 years ago from stroke, stepfather 8 months ago who had been taping myself and family members using his bathroom for showers, and my brother 3 months ago from alcoholic cirrhosis. Previous traumatic events are also present.
I am tired of being stuck and unable to move forward in my life and have been slowly undergoing petrification.
is cbt the best route to take?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First let me say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of all the traumatic events that you've gone through over your life. As for the most effective approach to treatment I would definitely recommended CBT for the treatment of your trauma and it's scientifically documented to show the best results.

Given the fact that CBT works towards adjusting the perception you hold of both yourself as well as the thoughts you experience and work towards dispelling certain "myths" that we often have about ourselves following traumatic events then the approaches used in CBT would certainly work well for you. I would actually go one step further if I may and suggest an approach of CBT that was developed for trauma survivors. I'm a trauma specialist and use this often in MT own practice. Basically, it's called Trauma Focused CBT and has all the original components and approaches of general CBT but was developed to concentrate solely on traumatic events.

I'm putting in a link for that book as well as a PTSD workbook that is based on CBT principles that should help you start working toward recovery.

I hope that I've been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure your question is completely and thoroughly answered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for confirming what I was thinking the best way to go.
I wish the trauma I mentioned was the only I had to deal with, but the last 3 years have just been the straws that broke the camel's back and turned me into a frozen lump of humanity approaching complete inability to function.
hopefully cbt can handle a multitude of compiling shit.
One last question - do you work thru things in a linear time line, or can you start with any trauma and make progress?

You are sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the direction and guidance. I'm sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the multiple traumas you've suffered.

As for the approach to a complex trauma (multiple events) the most effective approach to treatment is to identify what is considered to be the "Index Trauma" which is the one event that stands out among the others. Basically this means that the intrusive thoughts, recurring memories, etc are concentrated mostly on one specific trauma. The reason this approach is taken is due to the fact that as the index trauma is treated and concentrated on the impacts had on you from the other traumatic events will actually start to respond to the treatment from the initial trauma

I offer you this opinion as a trauma therapist and I actually specialize in treating complex traumas such as the one's your presenting with. This approach has been scientifically proven in the treatment of trauma and more specifically complex traumas. I will tell you that as patients go through this treatment and really stick with the protocol and homework assigned by the therapist then the improvement rate is about 75% which is remarkable and validates the scientific methodology.

I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you are going through such pain but as you go through this treatment it will help you toward recovery.

I hope this helps to answer your question completely. Please feel free to ask anything further before clicking the ACCEPT button as I want to be sure you're satisfied with the answer and suggestions I've provided.