mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

My grandson puts things up his shirt when he plays, i.e. stuffed

My grandson puts things up his shirt when he plays, i.e. stuffed animals, blankets, etc. Is this o.k.? He has been doing this for a few years, nothing that I can think of triggers it. He likes to be alone when he's playing like this and when asked why he is doing this, he says he doesn't know. He lives with me, his grandfather and mom. He visits his dad weekly and does it at his house also.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information you've kindly provided it sounds as though your grandson is using what are called "transitional objects" which are kind of like safety blankets when putting things up his shirt. It's likely that he does this to feel secure by having things with meaning being close to him physically.

There's no type of condition, disorder, or any other form of concern that presents in this manner so it doesn't sound as though you have anything to worry about at present. I would suggest monitoring him for a while and if the items grow to being unusual or inappropriate I would then suggest to you that he be seen by a child therapist just to ensure that there is nothing further going on. My impression is that he's using this approach and items as security blankets which is consistent with his age.

I hope that I've been helpful in answering your question and that you've found my suggestions to be of benefit to you and your family.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure your question is completely and thoroughly answered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.