Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

I am divorced and in another relationship. My daughter wants it to be just us together (me

I am divorced and in another relationship. My daughter wants it to be just us together (me, her and my son). She is 14 and says if I don't chose her she doesn't want to be with me. Of couse she is my main concern and love her but if I do end the relationship does this give my daughter a good message?
On the one hand, it's important to make sure you don't move too quickly into other relationships. This is not the best role modeling for your children.

However, you deserve to be happy and find another healthy relationship. Ending it just for her sends the wrong message...that she's in charge and you always have to submit to her. Relationships are about sacrifice & compromise, but this is too big a issue. You can't give up your happiness and stay alone just because of her.

If talking with her doesn't help resolve this issue, then you should consider some family and or individual counseling. Your ex is entitled to stay single but that doesn't mean you have to.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com