mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I have a relative with bipolar disorder. He metabolizes medication

Customer Question

I have a relative with bipolar disorder. He metabolizes medication quickly, so no medicine works for very long. This has gone on for 18 years. Is there any person or place you would recommend?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

mindhealer :

Hello. I would be happy to do my best to help and am online. Let me know when you are back in the room and we can discuss this further. My name is Fadi

Good evening. I waited for you in the chatroom and to help in answering your question. I would like to ask if you can provide me with bit more information. Specially the medication list, his symptoms and how frequently he has them and what type of doctors has he seen? Regular Psychiatrists, General practitioners, etc. Has he ever been seen by a psychopharmacologist? Thank you and I look forward to your response so I can best help you.
Hello. You accepted the answer before providing me with the responses I requested to ensure that I give you an informed answer. Please provide me with the additional information requested so that I can your question thoroughly. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I am writing this in between customers at my shop. I would have to ask my relative to provide specifics for you. Generally I was just wondering when the experts need help finding answers for hard to treat cases --who or where do they seek answers?

Hello. No apologies necessary by no means. Essentially if a traditional psychiatrist is unable to provide the appropriate medication regimen secondary to medical factors such as your relative metabolism they typically consult with either a psychopharmacologist which is a psychiatrist with an additional doctorate in pschopharmacology and would certainly be a able to help.

Another consideration would be to have him seen by a health psychiatrist which are also psychiatrists that go through regular training but also go through an additional fellowship and advanced training in treatment mental health conditions that are impacted by medical conditions just as your relatives is.

You can typically find one of the two noted above at your local major medical center, specifically one that is affiliated with a medical school as you would find the experts in multiple roles such as practicing, research and teaching that way they stay on top of all advancements.

I sincerely hope that this helps and please feel free to ask anything further that I can help you or if you require any further clarification on my response and/or suggestions. Thanks again for the chance to help you.