mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I have been dealing with a lot of stress for a long time, and

I have been dealing with a lot of stress for a long time, and lately it has been wearing on me heavier than normal. I have never spoken to a psychiatrist, or had any counseling because I was to stubborn to accept help. Now I feel like I need it, but I don't know where to look. Should I call a crisis center? or is there someone I can call?

mindhealer :

Hello. I'm online and would be happy to help. Just let me know when you're back in the chatroom and we can discuss this further

Customer: Hello.
mindhealer :

Hello. I'm glad that you joined me

mindhealer :

Would you mind very much if I asked a couple of questions for further clarity?

Customer: no problem. go ahead
mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

First would you mind identifying some of the symptoms you're experiencing

Customer: anxiety. panic. anger. I am feeling Lots and LOTS of stress
mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

Any feelings of depression?

Customer: yes. as long as i can remember... im just sorta used to it now
mindhealer :

Thank you for your honesty

Customer: lies don't help any one! I like honesty!
mindhealer :

How long has it been this bad?

Customer: about a year? more or less.. It started building right about the time I got my job. I work as a teller at credit union. My mother is the manager of a seperate branch and she rides my case a lot. I guess that sorta brought everything to the fore
mindhealer :

Understood....this sounds like what started off as an adjustment disorder has developed further

mindhealer :

Any trouble sleeping?

Customer: always. I get enough sleep to get by, but I have had sleeping problems since i was very very young. I get about 6-8 hours a night most nights, but it isn't always restful sleep
mindhealer :

Thank you. Would you say your symptoms are more along depression or anxiety/panic?

Customer: Probably closer to depression. I rarely get the anxiety and panic.
mindhealer :

ok, Thank you.

mindhealer :

I'd like to offer a couple suggestions to you if I may

Customer: please do!
mindhealer :

The first would be for you to schedule an appointment to see a therapist....you can call your health insurance provider and they can help you find a therapist. I would suggest a therapist that is experienced in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as this is the most effective approach in the treatment of depression. Upon further assessment with the therapist (about 3 sessions or so) you may be referred to see a psychiatrist for a medication evaluation for an antidepressant

mindhealer :

The second is a workbook that is based on Cognitive therapy and includes a number of different exercises that can help you to identify further triggers or events that contribute to your symptoms. It will also include ways of coping with the stressors and how to help you relax further. Is it ok to give you the link to the workbook?

Customer: it couldnt hurt.
Customer: thank you
mindhealer :

Do you have any further questions? I want to make sure that all your questions get answered

Customer: is it possible to have multiple "disorders" simultaniously?
mindhealer :

Yes it is

mindhealer :

it's actually quite common

mindhealer :

do you think you have another condition besides the depression?

Customer: is it generally easy to treat them effectively? or do they sorta trip you up?
mindhealer :

Not at all! If the therapist is experienced and most that will be on the insurance referrals would be then it's not hard at all.

mindhealer :

In all honesty....once treatment starts it typically begins to target symptoms of both conditions

Customer: Great! One more question... It's not really related to your advice, but would the health insurance providers be open on the weekend? I want to get going on this asap because if I change my mind it might take another 15 years to make it to therapy!
mindhealer :

For referrals they may not be...but if you call the 800 number on the back of your card they have crisis counselors that should be available and that will prompt a callback on Monday morning to get you the referrals that you need

Customer: Awesome! Thank you very very much!
mindhealer :

You are most welcome. Any other questions?

Customer: nope! You have been wonderful!
mindhealer :

It's been a pleasure to help you!! You can click the ACCEPT button if there is nothing further to end the chat. I wish you the very best!!