mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Have a brother who is an alcoholic and has been drinking for

Customer Question

Have a brother who is an alcoholic and has been drinking for several weeks. Is trying to get off but keeps drinking a little each day. How much should he drink and what else can we do for him to keep him from going into DTs. He is already shaky and falling around. He says he needs to drink some each day to be able to quit???
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information you have kindly provided if your brother is serious about stopping his drinking my suggestion would be to take him to the Emergency Room to be evaluated and given fluids and medications to ward off the DTs. The bad thing about alcohol withdrawal is not just the shakes and the DTs but even more importantly is the possibility of him having a seizure during the course of his withdrawal.

Once he is past the danger point of the withdrawal he can then be referred to rehab programs from the hospital following his evaluation.

If he is resistant than he will likely need more than 8 oz a day given that he is still having significant withdrawal symptoms. I would suggest doubling that amount and see the effect...if his shaking and other withdrawal symptoms stop than it's ok to keep giving him that but the most effective approach and method to help him would be as I mentioned first which would be to take him in for a medical evaluation and a medical detox.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your questions and that you have found my suggestions to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is also a bad diabetic. Our family physician has ordered Home Health to visit which should be here tomorrow. Will she/he be able to tell us whether he needs to go to a hospital or can handle this at home. He says he is backing off slowly and I can tell he is but will that work?

Thank you for your follow up question. I'm glad to hear that someone from home health will be there tomorrow. They will most definitely be able to determine whether he needs to be in the hospital or not. At this point backing off slowly may not work...especially if he has medical complications as the alcohol can impact his glucose and wreck havoc with his diabetes. Given this new information and that his withdrawal symptoms could potentially pose significant health risks I would urge him to go to this hospital for a more thorough evaluation including blood work and they will be able to safely detox him while monitoring his conditions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did accept the answer and was charged the $22 with a $4.00 tip. Appreciate your answer and going to take him to a rehab hospital. This was put on a Discover card and approved but if you didn't get it let me know. Please cancel any further charges, if I need the site again will reapply. Thanks
I had sent that email almost simultaneously to your accepting so all is well. And thank you for the tip and I'm glad I could help. Good luck to you and your family.