TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello I am a current Medical Student and feel that I have definitely

Hello I am a current Medical Student and feel that I have definitely found out what it is like to have Medical Student Syndrome. We just finished learning about Schizophrenia and I keep having these obsessive, racing, fearful thoughts that I am about to start hearing voices or worry about what it would be like to have the disease. I currently take adderall and was wondering if it is possible to ever worry yourself into hearing voices or if adderall could induce the disease. I am really starting to freak out about this and have not been able to study all week b/c I get a massive rush of anxiety everytime I think about it. I know this is rather ridiculous, but has always been a fear of mine and just scared to death about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Being that you are feeling so anxious about possibly getting Schizophrenia, then it is highly unlikely you have it. Most people who develop schizophrenia are not highly anxious before hand, nor do they display the depth and insight that you have. They also do not write their thoughts out clearly like you did, because their thoughts are disorganized and they are not able to communicate their needs with any level of insight or depth. I have treated many people with Schizophrenia and you are not exhibiting any symptoms that I can tell, just from your question.

Adderall cannot induce schizophrenia. It is a medication that helps reduce symptoms of ADHD but it has never been known to induce schizophrenia. It can cause anxiety if you have a reaction to it, so you may want to check with your doctor about possible side effects you may be having. But any research I am aware of regarding the origins of Schizophrenia do not include medication as a cause.

If it makes you feel any better, consider getting an evaluation by a qualified therapist. Anyone experienced with schizophrenia will be able to reassure you that you are fine. If anything, you may have mild anxiety just from the stress you are experiencing, but that will go away when you feel better about not having schizophrenia.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reassurance!!! Yes I am very anxious about it and just feel that I know so much about this disorder that I can just worry myself into a panic attack. I want to thank you for your time and help with this. I will probably lay off the adderall for awhile as it only makes my anxiety worse. I think this has just been such a fear of mine after reading the book A Beautiful Mind...Now after learning so much about the disease and seeing patient after patient I worry so much about ending up like the patients we learned about in class. Do you feel it is better to face a fear by learning more about a problem or stay off the internet? I just had this last question, then I will accept your reply. THANK YOU AGAIN

It is always better to face your fear. That does not mean you need to do it alone, though. Talking to others about your fear and getting assistance always helps. Reassurance is always good as well. But facing your fear will help you learn that you are ok. Facing your fear takes the power of your fear away and helps you gain confidence.

The internet is ok, but take it with a grain of salt. It is always better to check with a professional who can talk with you about your personal situation.

You may want to check out the book The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. It is excellent and helps you work on facing your fears.

I am very glad to help! Anytime you need to talk, I'm here.