mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

Hi there, I have a question please. My husband is NEVER happy. He has occasional short liv

Hi there, I have a question please. My husband is NEVER happy. He has occasional short lived happy moments, but all through his life (he is 36 years old) he is miserable. He fixates on a "goal" and is miserable that he doesn't have it and when he gets it, he finds another thing to be miserable about.

Is there a name for this kind of "depression"? Can CBT help? what should I do?

Thanks a million
Good morning and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of your husband going through this. Based on the information you've kindly provided it sounds as though your husband is experiencing what's called episodic depression brought on my constant pessimism and worry.

A CBT approach would certainly help him as that will provide gin further with a better insight and understanding as to the origin of he thoughts as well as the triggers that bring them on. It doesn't sound as though he would really need medications at present. My initial suggestion would be for him to consider seeing a therapist that is skilled and experienced in CBT. My second suggestion would be for him to start addressing the thoughts with the use of a workbook concentrated on depression and is written from a CBT approach and perspective. The workbook includes exercises that will help work toward a greater degree of insight that will surely be a great start for him.

Here is a link to the workbook for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1572244739/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/176-0584487-2846920

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX I've been helpful in answering your question and that you found MT suggestions to be of benefit to you and in helping your husband.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure your question is completely and thoroughly answered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.