mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My husband has a sex addiction that is about to ruin our marriage.

My husband has a sex addiction that is about to ruin our marriage. How do I get him to get help? Thank you for your help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the pain and difficulty you're going through right now. Based on the information you've kindly provided in your question...it's entirely likely that his sexual addiction is due in part of an anxiety disorder, namely Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

There are specialists around the country who treat these specific types of conditions though in my experience it would also serve your husband well to see a therapist that is experienced and trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as this is the approach most commonly used. Essentially, the approach explores further into one's thoughts and triggers and prompts that bring them and then at the resulting behaviors.

You can contact your health insurance provider in order to get a referral to see a therapist. There is also the option of medication therapy though I would strongly recommend that your husband sees a psychiatrist to be started on the most appropriate of medications. The two most effective would be Prozac and Paxil as both are effective in the treatment of OCD.

Finally, I would like to offer you a link to a workbook that is concentrated on sexual disorders and the exercises found in the book are based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as I noted above.

http://www.amazon.com/Enhancing-Sexuality-Problem-Solving-Dysfunction-Treatments/dp/0195315081

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.