mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Do you think it is okay to get a new psychiatrist if you feel

Do you think it is okay to get a new psychiatrist if you feel the one you have is not helping you? By the way, I quit going to the psychiatrist after a few times because I thought he wasn't helpful. How much time should you wait before knowing if things are working or not?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good morning and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. The answer would be most assuredly yes. Feeling a level of comfort with your doctor us crucial with regards XXXXX XXXXX treatment and your recovery. If you're feeling a level of discomfort and feel that your doctor isn't being helpful I would first strongly urge you to bring thoroughly their attention and to see if any of your concerns and/or differences can be resolved. If you've already made an attempt to do so or feel that it's not worth trying then I would strongly suggest you start looking for a new psychiatrist. The most important thing with regards XXXXX XXXXX medical and mental health care is that you are benefiting from the treatment provided.

Sometimes we all come across providers that we just don't mesh well with or there are also some that feel they know best and can be dismissive to our concerns and questions. Remember that the person who knows you best is you. Any reasonable doctor or therapist recognizes this concept and should be willing to listen to their patients and that treatment should be a collaborative effort and not one sided.

I hope this helps in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure your question is completely and thoroughly answered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.