TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

The women that I am involved with has aftr some traumatic experience

The women that I am involved with has aftr some traumatic experience shown all the narcessistic behavior I have read about ( emotional abuse etc). just cannot understand how she can be so sympathic with her family , especially her grown up kids, but shows totally different behaviour with me.Is there dsomething like a slit narcisstic personality? Right now she has put me on "Sudden Silents " for over a week and I am thinking of ending the ralitioneneship. I dont know when she will contact me again and if I just should treat her with ignorance ( and definitley not show my anger). Thank you XXXXXX XXXXXX
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

The symptoms of Narcissism are as follows:

Believing that you're better than others and taking advantage of others
Thinking you are more attractive or powerful
Exaggerating your achievements or talents
Expecting constant praise and admiration

Lack of empathy
Drastic mood swings in relationships
Taking advantage of others
Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
Believing that others are jealous of you and/or being jealous of others
Difficulties in relationships
Setting unrealistic goals
Being easily hurt and rejected
Having a fragile self-esteem
Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional

There is no split narcissism, although it may feel like that because a person with narcissistic disorder can react drastically different with different people. She can be nice to one person and hateful with another. It is all about manipulation and getting what she wants, either attention or so other goal.

Being in a relationship with someone who is narcissistic is very difficult. It can be better if the person has insight and is willing to work on their issues, but if not, you will always take a back seat to their drama and issues.

Trying to predict how to respond to a person who is narcissist is nearly impossible. Since they change as often as they see fit and their emotions can vary so widely, there is little you can do to affect them.

There are ways you can cope if you choose to stay in the relationship. Here are some resources to help you:

The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family by Eleanor D. Payson

Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving & Thriving With the Self-Absorbed by Wendy T. Behary

The Object of My Affection Is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists by Rokelle Lerner

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,