mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

hello, i want to quit alcohol completely, i binge drink

Customer Question

i want to quit alcohol completely, i binge drink about 3xtime and I know the damage it is doing to my body. Last night I drink about 10 standard drinks, and you guessed it my head is aching. I am cursing
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information you've kindly provided it sounds as though you have been drinking for a fairly long time. I have a number of suggestions that will help you to stop drinking. First and foremost will be to speak to your GP about being detoxed from alcohol (preferably inpatient given the potential medical complications associated with alcohol withdrawal. If your GP does not admit you inpatient than he or she can give you medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. The most effective medication is Clonodine.

I would then suggest you looking into an inpatient rehab program (preferably 28 days or longer) which will help you to start attending AA meetings as well as group and individual therapy to help you concentrate on maintaining your sobriety.

From there it would benefit you greatly to maintain your daily meetings in AA and to find a sponsor that you can relate to. The way to do so is to listen at meetings and see who you click with. Preferably an individual with several years of sobriety.

If the inpatient route is not an option due to your work or other responsibilities then I would suggest speaking to your GP about the medication I mentioned and also get a referral for an outpatient rehab program which also consists of group and individual therapy. Upon completion of this program I strongly suggest continuing with AA meetings as well as seeing a substance abuse therapist individually in conjunction with attending AA meetings in order to maintain your strong support network.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this helps to answer your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks I am at a remote site and it will be affort to get to a rehab centre, I will try the Clonodine, and attend the AA Meetings in the locality.

If that fails then a rehab centre is the next option.

kind regards,

I'm truly glad to hear that. I wish you the very best. I would actually suggest that you start looking for AA meetings now and begin to attend them as soon as you possibly can in order to start working toward your recovery. The sooner you get a support network in place the better your recovery will be.

I would also like to suggest a workbook that you can order which concentrates on working toward identifying triggers of alcohol use as well as ways to cope with stressors that may lead you to wanting to drink.

The workbook is based on cognitive behavioral theory which helps you gain further insight and understanding into your thoughts which prompt the behavior of drinking.

Here is the link to the workbook. I sincerely wish you the very best!