mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

i have been suffering with my moods for a while now and they

i have been suffering with my moods for a while now and they are just getting worse! It's getting in the way of my life, i run a buissiness and have had to take time out where i have become so low at the moment. i sleep a lot and just feel like everything is heading for disaster. However thats not the only thing that is affecting my life, my spending sprees and wild nights out are becoming a very bad problem, i am in debt over my head and loose nights where im all over the place out on the town. i was perscibed anti-depressants around a year ago however these made my life worse than ever, i began having wild parties at my house and having casual, risky sex, i spent around £4,000 in the space of 5 months on partying, hotel stays, my emotions got so out of control. People have expressed concern with my moods and erratic/depressive behavior. Some say at times i am highly irritable and very hard to talk to and other times ill just talk and talk and laugh uncontrolably and they find it even harder to follow conversation with me. I am 19 and have a history of depression on my mothers side of the family.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the difficulty you're having. Based on the detailed information you have kindly provided everything points to a bipolar diagnosis (what used to be called manic-depression). Essentially the symptoms of depression are precisely as you would expect such as feeling low, sleeping a lot, etc. The symptoms of mania are not what individuals expect. The behaviors you mentioned are actually textbook examples of mania including spending sprees, risky behaviors, speech pressured and rapid, etc. Less commonly known mania symptoms are also evident such as feeling irritable and uncontrollable laughing.

You mentioned that after you were put on an antidepressant things got worse which actually reinforces the diagnosis. Essentially when an individual with bipolar disorder is started on anti-depressant what happens is that it induces a very strong manic state. The appropriate medication for your condition is a mood stabilizer such as Risperidol, Zyprexa, Depakote, and Lithium. I would STRONGLY urge you to speak to your GP about getting a referral to see a Psychiatrist in order for he or she to confirm the diagnosis and put you on a medication that would be most appropriate for you.

In addition to seeing a psychiatrist I would also strongly suggest that you consider seeing a therapist (clinical psychologist or clinical social worker) in order to learn to cope with and manage your condition better. You should be able to get a referral to see a therapist from your GP as well.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX my answer has been helpful and has provided you a greater degree of insight and understanding into your condition. I also hope that the suggestions I've offered you have been of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.