mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Dealing with depression

Dealing with depression
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of your difficulty with depression.

My first suggestion would be to consider seeing a therapist (either a clinical psychologist or a clinical social worker) to help appropriately diagnose you with the depression. If in fact you are diagnosed with depression I would urge you to follow through with therapy and explore the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which helps you to explore further one's thoughts and any negativity within them and to further help you to identify what prompts or triggers the thoughts. These thoughts impact greatly your emotional state and could very well be the reason for your depressed mood.

I would also like to suggest a workbook that is based on the same approach and premise that I mentioned above which includes exercises to help you gather further insight and understanding into yourself and what is prompting the depression.

Here's a link to the workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Behavioral-Workbook-Depression-Step/dp/1572244739

I would further suggest that after a few weeks in therapy that if you have a minimal response than I would urge you to consider seeing a psychiatrist as well to have a medication evaluation

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you have found my answer to be helpful and the suggestions I offered to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been diagnosed with depression from a my docter, I have been prescribed anti-depressants but do not want to take medication sertraline, which is the dutch version of a well know pfizer manifacutred drug. I am trying to work through it in a more spritual way but have very desperate, dark feelings and dont know quite how to escape. I am waiting for an appointment with a therapist. I am a divorced mother of 3 teenagers and work in publishing and translation. I need an academic route rather than drugs.. I think.. please suggest

Thank you for your response. I can sincerely XXXXX XXXXX to work through the depression with therapy alone. The thing is...if your depression is that severe then it may truly be beneficial to use the medication in the beginning until such time that the effects of the therapy take place and once your emotional state is more stable and the depression lifted you can then be tapered off of the medication and maintain the therapy. Think of the medication as a kind of booster in order to enhance the therapy to work better and faster. A significant part of depression is "dark thoughts and feelings" as well as a lack of motivation and energy. If these issues are not addressed through medications it will likely take you twice as long to work toward your recovery. The nice thing to keep in mind is that the medication would only be a temporary use.

As for an academic route...my impression is that you meant use of therapy instead of medications.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask anything further before Accepting the answer as I want to be sure that you are satisfied with the response and suggestions I've offered you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for you swift responses, I have one last question before accepting.. I am really afraid of medication, dont even take a pain killer for a headache, and recognise I have a slightly addictive personality, always kept healthy and fit and look younger than my age. I am afraid that my intuitive side will be dampened by drugs, although I do not like feeling so alone... which is also strange as I have always been so independant. Thank you for you time.

No problem in the least. It's my pleasure to help and to make sure all your questions are answered. As for potential addiction...anti-depressants do not have any addictive qualities. As far as being dampened by medications...I will be honest that once starting an anti-depressant it takes about 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust and you will back to your old self. I wouldn't worry too much as feeling lethargic and dampened is only a temporary side effect. I think you would do well

I hope that helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience