mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Please help. My son (age 23) has been stealing my Vicodin

Please help. My son (age 23) has been stealing my Vicodin and I have severe health issues. Now I have found out that he and his fiance have been stealing her mother's Percoset. They both lie to us when we confront them. OMG. What does this mean when our kids are stealing from us and telling us lies? What is going on and how could they sink so low? I finally got together with her mother on this. What can we do? Thank-you!! Shelly Collins

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information you have kindly provided I would go as far as to say that both your son and his fiance are addicted to Opiates. As for your first question, essentially what this means is that addicts will steal from whomever they can in order to get their fix. I realize that this doesn't make this easier to's not you that they are stealing just happens that it's convenient given your relationship and proximity.

An addicts mindset is such that they when they need their next "fix" they will do whatever is necessary in order to achieve that high that they need. When I say need it's essentially a physiological need given that Opiates have a significantly difficult withdraw and it can be painful. Typically you see vomiting, hot and cold feelings (flu like), and severe muscular pain.

As for what you can do...I would suggest that you and her mother both confront your son and her daughter to let them know that you are both aware that they have been taking your medications and that you're concerned that they both have a problem and they would benefit from getting help. I would then suggest to you and her mother that you both hide your pills from now on some place they would never look for least for the time being. If they continue to have access to the medications they will continue to steal from you.

I would also urge them to consider going to the hospital for treatment given the nature of the withdrawal. Unfortunately you cannot force them into treatment given their age and you may have to let them hit bottom on their own before recognizing that they do in fact need help.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the answer I've provided you have been helpful and the suggestions I've offered have been of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.