mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

is there a psychological condition known as a deer in the

is there a psychological condition known as a "deer in the headlights" where a person has such an emotional overload as they do not have appropriate emotions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information you've identified the "deer in headlights" is more of a reaction to a stressful stimulus or confrontation than an actual condition. Most people have heard of the "fight or flight" response...though not many know of a third which is the "freeze response." The freeze response essentially occurs when confronted with a situation that is perceived as so overwhelming that our mind isn't clear as to how to manage the situation and thus "freezes." The origin of this reaction is such that a person neither stays to fight and is so overwhelmed or frightened that they become mentally "frozen" and is unable to manage.

You further mentioned not having appropriate emotions in response to the "deer in headlights." It's more along the lines that the person lacks the necessary coping skills to deal with the emotional overload.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you have found my answers and explanation to your satisfaction.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.