mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My brother died nearly six years ago. On my birthday this

My brother died nearly six years ago. On my birthday this year I dreamt of him for the first time since he died. My sister in law, (his widow) whose father was a spiritualist,
thinks there is a "visitation" here. I think it nothing more than a manifestation of grief, born of talking about him, and a memorial award that is awarded annually. However, the evening before I dreamt about him, I had some strange feelings that I had to return to my father's house (he died in January and the house is now empty). A passing friend saw another friend (male and married) trying to deliver a birthday card at 10.00 pm. Spooky or plain psychology?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. I typically don't answer questions of this nature but I felt a pull to answer it for you. Although this is not my primary area of expertise I am certainly knowledgeable about dream interpretation.

Based on the information you've provided about your brother, the timing of the dream as well as as the feelings that pulled you to your father's home my conclusions are kind of unusual and are based on a great deal of research that I have done on my own in the field of paranormal activity and it's relation to psychology.

The theory goes that if the deceased individual comes to you in a dream and that you are capable of recalling each specific detail and that they speak to you with you in a manner that is consistent with their passing...basically meaning that they are aware of their being deceased then it's thought to be a "visit."

If most parts of what I mentioned are not consistent with the dream itself then it is nothing more than your subconscious seeping through and the fact that it was his birthday that likely prompted the dream.

I hardly ever do this...but I am citing this answer from both a PERSONAL as well as a professional knowledge of dreams about deceased relatives and the interactions had with them during the course of the dream.

I will of course leave up to you about accepting the answer or not...I just hope that this helps you with gaining a better understanding of the potential of the dream.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or thoughts. Thank you for the chance to help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was my birthday. I do not think the "deceased" was aware that he was deceased - but he was definitely dealing with the unwarnted and persistent visitor. I know bereaved people often dream of the deceased, but this was the first time i had dreamed of him since he died. What was strange was the "pull" I had the previous evening, and that the feeling was that "Dad's" house had an intruder.

The only other "spooky" feeling I have ever had, was a weak before my brother's death, I was in a church group, and as I let go the ministers hand I had a feeling just like letting go my brother's had when he was a child - the same month he had died "suddenly" of a heart attack. Again sixth sense or some "visitation" I do not know. I can be open, but up and until these two events, I have always been a sceptic.

My apologies for the mistake. Everything that you mentioned has a very specific timing and it really sounds like more of sixth sense to be honest. Siblings share very close feelings, especially if they shared a special relationship before death. I wish I had a more definitive answer for you. If you prefer I can opt out to give another clinician an opportunity to answer your question. Just let me know what you prefer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sixth sense i will go for. i was not sure ito what extent unresolved bereavement issues were at play, at and whether or not there is a real end, or there is a time when we dip in and out of old memories, to come to acceptance and move in. Sorting out my parents house (our childhood home) I guess hasnt helped, and hope for closure at some stage. Thank you

I would certainly agree with you as far as unresolved issues. I would suggest seeing a therapist to help you process any unresolved issues that you may have. i wish you the very best of luck. No need to accept the answer as I don't feel that I have answered it well enough. Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

Of course. Take Care!
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience