Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Kate, Still here hanging on feeling like crap! No anxiety

Hi Kate, Still here hanging on feeling like crap! No anxiety except what I produce with my own thinking but I'm changing that....time for me to grow up and stop acting like a baby wanting thing done my way and in my time. Read some good ChristXXXXX XXXXXterature I get every day Meet Me in the Meadow . Earlier this week he spoke on Patience. Opened my eyes, for sure.

Dr. Hernz gave me risperidone 1ML to take Wednesday morning for its calming effect because I told him I was feeling discouraged, down, sedated yet nervous, depressed, etc. I took one little dose and didn't like it....knocked me out all afternoon. I had to call him and let him know how it affected me - he told me to take just below the little droppper mark today.

I decided last night no more!! He acknowledges he's trying to fix the symptoms for me to give me some relieve but I also decided NO!! Another grow up theme. I have what I have, now deal with it.

We decided to change the time of Xanax XR to 7 am, 12 noon, 5 pm, and 11 pm., Kate, is that a lot of Xanax XR? Anyway, this timing makes the time between nightime and early morning 8 hrs instead of 10 hours. Hopefully this will make my mornings a little better for me. What do you think?

I'm interested in your thoughts of me just staying on plain XanaxXR with an occassional small .25 if I need it, rather than all the other stuff.

God bless,
Rita
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rita! You were in my thoughts and I was wondering how you were doing. Good to hear from you.

Your new outlook on your anxiety is very inspiring! It's wonderful to see you taking the situation by the bull horns and facing it head on. I am not familiar with Meet Me in the Meadow devotionals so I am going to check it out. Learning about patience is a good reminder that we are on God's clock, not our own.

Yes, that is a lot of Xanax you are taking. It may make your mornings better with the spacing of the medication, but my concern for you is that one, you are taking a lot of medication and two, that your body will become used to this medication very quickly and you will need more to help you to maintain how you feel. Xanax is a medication that the body becomes used to very quickly. Once you reach a certain level in your system, getting off of the medication becomes a medical issue. This medication can cause seizures if you are not weaned off under medical supervision. It's hard to tell you this but I would feel like I wronged you if I did not tell you what I would tell anyone else in your situation.

Best practice in your situation is to wean you off Xanax and try another medication. I know that is difficult, but in your case I do feel you have the strength and determination to see this through. Plus you have your faith, a benefit that can pull you through.

As you consider this, try some of the materials we talked about in the beginning. It will help you find ways to cope with the anxiety and continue your push to get this out of your life. I don't recall if we talked about therapy at length but that is another consideration as well.

Let me know what you think,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.