AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

On July 4th my 5 year old daughters behavior changed dramatically.

On July 4th my 5 year old daughters behavior changed dramatically. She has had a couple tics and a little aggression toward her 2 year old brother lately. But on Monday something triggered in her and she had 1 more new tic and the old ones were non stop. She is also 3 times more aggressive with her brother. Took her to the pediatrician (before I new about the slide fall) and gave her all the background which she said sounded behavioral. They set me up with a psychologist (which I can't see until Oct) and a neurologist which is still 3 weeks away. There is something wrong with her, sometimes I see bits of my little girl and the rest of her that I see is not her. My Mother told me today that my daughter did fall of the slide on July 3 but was unsure how she landed. If she landed on her head could this trigger something in her that dramatically changed her. Please help, I'm desperate to help her right away. Thank you, Kelly
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 5 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for the opportunity to serve you here...

AgapeDoc :

Well, you are right to be concerned about the fall off the bed. AND.... the fact that there was a dramatic change in behavior right about the same time is very important.

AgapeDoc :

I would strongly suggest that you "rule out" anything medical before going further.

AgapeDoc :

If you can get her in to see her pediatrician that would be the first thing to do. As a therapist, I generally always insist that my clients get a complete physical when they begin therapy. Medical reasons can have a significant impact on one's behavior. Just consider sugar levels or blood pressure for example.

AgapeDoc :

Now it's possible that this is not the issue, but you don't want to roll the dice on your medical well being I'm sure.

AgapeDoc :

If this is not it at least you'll know - oh and by the way if the pediatrician is not available - you might consider the emergency room....

AgapeDoc :

If this is not the issue, then you can approach it from a behavioral or cognitive behavioral approach. Let's hope it's behavioral - it may be more challenging in some ways, but it can be dealt with.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing so far?

Customer:

I've noticed that when she is herself she seems a little absent minded and her daily routine has been different than the norm all week. Her favorite past time is drawing for about and hour and she hasn't once tried it. Could this be a psychological or concussion.

Customer:

I don't understand how one can just snap in a day. She's a strong girl.

AgapeDoc :

It could be either really. Or it could be that your assessment is not accurate - please understand why I say this. You are concerned - very concerned as her parent so your emotions and analysis may be skewed do to your concern - you may be reading more into it do to your worry..

AgapeDoc :

Yes.... as you say this "snap" would be more indicative of a medical issue.

Customer:

Yes, I am very worried, scared, can't sleep, can't eat. I listen to her and watch her and she's not the same baby girl.

Customer:

If it is behavioral am I causing her more harm by not being able to get her psychological help sooner?

AgapeDoc :

I think you should get her to an MD as soon as you can - either her pediatrician or the emergency room. At least you'll know one way or the other...

Customer:

She

AgapeDoc :

If it's behavioral get her in as soon as you can, but you are not doing any harm based on the time frame you have mentioned...

AgapeDoc :

You will know more after you get her in for a medical check up.

Customer:

When I have her check her out should I tell her I want blood work done also? When I had my daughter there today she listened to my husband and I what her past has been & my daughter sat in another room. She never once mentioned blood work. What type of blood work should she get.

Customer:

Sorry if I sound jumbled, lack of sleep & nerves.

AgapeDoc :

Let the medical professionals determine what tests they need. Your job is to share what has been happening - the fall, the dramatic change in behavior, etc. You can ask them what tests they will run, and why - be assertive and ask questions, but allow them and expect them to do their job.

AgapeDoc :

No need to apologize :) I am a professional counselor and I have two precious kids of my own.

AgapeDoc :

What I'm telling you is coming from me as a counselor as well as me as a parent :)

Customer:

It's been a long week & I just want my daughter back, I'm scared. I look into her eyes & it doesn't feel right. I'll call the doctor tomorrow. I know she doesn't work on Friday's but I'm hoping somebody can see me. Thank you, a very scared mother.

AgapeDoc :

Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers - I wish you all my best :)