Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

Can someone with narcissistic personality disorder be helped

Can someone with narcissistic personality disorder be helped with any medication?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 5 years ago.

Doctor Blake :

Good afternoon and welcome to JA.

Doctor Blake :

Generally speaking, there is not a medication that can address Axis II disorders (e.g., personality disorders).

Doctor Blake :

This is due largely to the theoretical nature of Axis II disorders. That is, there is considerable disagreement as to whether or not Axis II disorders exist. This is because there is not consensus about the nature a personality to begin with. That is, not everyone agrees in the concept of "personality" which (by definition) cannot be tested scientifically.

Doctor Blake :

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that there was agreement that PERSONALITY exists. There are no drugs that can change a person's PERSONALITY. They may change aspects of the person, but not what most people believe to be the core PERSONALITY.

Doctor Blake :

There is therapy or treatment for personality disorders - but it is generally lengthy and not not particularly effective, to be frank. In large part because those who practice in the field of personality change are less likely to be scientifically minded and, therefore, less effective in the scientific endeavor of providing therapy.

Doctor Blake :

A better (and potentially more beneficial) approach might be to ask if there are Axis I disorder(s) that more accurately capture the essence of the presenting problem. For example, NPD might be better categorized as an anxiety disorder, a mood disorder, a social disorder, or even a neurodevelopmental disorder - for which there are identified and effective treatment protocols (including medication).

Doctor Blake :

I realize this is probably more information than you needed or wanted - but it is a complex issue. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is, no, there are no medications for Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Doctor Blake :

Thanks. I wish you the best of luck. Please click <ACCEPT>

Doctor Blake :

Thanks.