Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hey, I try to be a nice person but am awquard in social situations

Hey, I try to be a nice person but am awquard in social situations and not really taken seriously by anyone. I know i am made fun of and talked about behind my back, and this leads me to be even more awquard. This situation results in me being pretty depressed and pessimistic at times, can't really see a point in living a life like this. However, this mood is alternated frequently with moods of happiness, optimism and energy, calm, or irritability. Would this imply a serious mental illness? Also, would you suggest that the reason i'm not taken seriously and am awkward socially is because of such a mood disorder and my social performance can be improved if this mood order is addressed, or rather that the mood order is the effect of my social awkwardness?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have a mood disorder and possibly a social problem as well. Though having a disorder can cause some discomfort in social situations, just because you have one does not guarantee you will have any social awkwardness. So further investigation of your symptoms is in order.

The description you have of your symptoms does sound like Bipolar disorder. To be sure, you need to see a therapist or psychiatrist for a full evaluation. They will talk to you about your current symptoms as well as any past issues, including developmental problems. Once they provide you with a diagnosis, they should let you know about your treatment options. In most cases, outpatient therapy with medication to help control the symptoms of Bipolar disorder. To find a therapist, you can search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/.

Once your symptoms are addressed, you may find some relief from your social awkwardness. If you do not, then you may have a separate issues such as low self esteem that is causing you to feel different socially. Since this also can be worked on in therapy, you will probably find the most relief by talking to a therapist and developing new ways to relate to others socially.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.