TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have frontotemporal dementia caused by depression. I am extremely

I have frontotemporal dementia caused by depression. I am extremely sick and suicidal because I think that I will never be cured. My hole life is a ruin. I see that this kind of dementia can be cured, but I have tries lots of medicine. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, it is nice to work with you again.

Frontal Lobe Dementia is caused by the mutation of several different types of genes. There can be a genetic component, but most people who have FTD do not have any family history of it.

Because FTD affects the area of the brain that controls personality, it is helpful for people with FTD to take psych medications such as anti depressants and anti psychotics. These medications help the person control their emotions so they feel more stable. I don't know if you have tried any of these types of medications, but if not, talk to your doctor about finding ones that work for you.

Also, therapy helps immensely. It can give you an outlet and help you learn better coping mechanisms. You also can learn how to handle stress, which aggravates FTD.

You can also join support groups for people with FTD. This provides you with a support system so you do not feel alone in your situation. Contact with others who experience this disease can give you information to help your own situation as well. What works for others may work for you too. Here are links to help get you started:

I hope this has helped you,