Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Took celexa two nights. Stopped taking it and feel HORRIBLE

I took celexa 5 mg for two nights. Woke up 2nd night in strange panic. Limbs felt like they were burning. I did not take another pill last night as i was terrified. Now I have been crying for no reason and feel terriefied. My dr is out of town. I dont know what to do. Should i continue to take xanax? is this going to wear off soon?  Its been almost 48 hours and i am still a mess.  Before taking it my anxiety and depression were managable.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
Hello

All antidepressant belonging to SSRIs class of antidepressants may initially worsen the anxiety symptoms in the beginning and Celexa is one of them. But this is transient and within a week or two you will start feeling much better if you decide to continue the medicine.

You have started Celexa since 2 days ago and It appears to me that you are also very much sensitive towards the side effect of antidepressants therefore suddenly stopping the drug may further result in discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, headache, palpitation, sweating etc.

A better idea would be to continue the Celexa. We usually advise our patients to reduce the dose to half in condition similar to that of yours if they are not able to tolerate even such a low dose of Celexa (5mg / day) instead of stopping it abruptly.

If you are able to control the symptoms with the help of Xanax as prescribed by your doctor, in my view, you should wait for your doctor to return before taking any decision to discontinue Celexa and in the mean while don't stop Celexa cold turkey.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics