Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

After six years together my girlfriend says she no longer has

Customer Question

After six years together my girlfriend says she no longer has any feelings for me and needs some space. We have copies of Dr. Phil’s “Relationship Rescue” books. We went through, but did not complete, the exercises and tasks in this book about a year ago. Now that she is saying that we are ‘broke up’ and I am begging her to go through these books again, but she is refusing. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about what is going on between you and your girlfriend. There is nothing you can do if she doesn't want to be in a relationship anymore unless she is willing to consider couples counseling. Have you talked to her about that?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Having a third party may help her look at things which she is refusing to do now.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you are not responding. I'll pause here and await your response.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Oh, hi.

I did not think of couples counseling. Doesn't Dr. Phil say that couples counseling does not work?

I do couples counseling and it has helped people who want to give it a try. If your girlfriend does not want to work on the realationship, then, of course, it wouldn't work. She needs to want to give it a try. Otherwise, I'm afraid there is no magic.
If you want to continue with chat just respond to DR. Shirley Schaye.