psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

I have tactile hallucinations, auditory hallucinations- that

I have tactile hallucinations, auditory hallucinations- that are really more like thoughts that belong to other people in my head, I've been told I have delusions of guilt and ideas of reference, and I fight to not be convinced that evil spirits are trying to take over. I have no dysfunction in my life, other than general unhappiness and social anxiety that nobody knows about. In fact I am extremely successful in my job and I get along well with others. I also have PTSD from prolonged childhood abuse. Do these things automatically mean that I have schizophrenia? I am afraid to tell these things to somebody if this is the case.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

Hallucinations do not definitely mean you have schizophrenia but that is a common diagnosis when someone reports hallucinations. However there are other diagnoses that have periodic or daily hallucinations. Psychosis wherein they take over and become prominent part of your functioning can be in the schizophrenia family. It sounds like you are very high functioning and this can suggest that you may have a different diagnosis. Your ability to have high social skills also suggest a different diagnosis. You should never be afraid to tell others especially a professional about your symptoms. There in embarrassment in having any mental health symptom. This is not your fault and you should accept whatever diagnosis you have.

If this is helpful press accept