Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

why are there so many similarities in our behavior and how

why are there so many similarities in our behavior and how we react to different things in life. Is it because we are human and share the same emotions through similar experiences.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is true that most of us share the same basic emotions. For example, we laugh, cry and feel anger. We also feel vulnerable, strong and invincible. Almost all people have these feelings throughout their lives in some form or another.

What influences how we express them is our personalities and our environment. For example, you can have two children born into the same family with the same parents and same circumstances but have two completely different personalities emerge. One child is quiet, prefers to be alone and read books, the other child is a social butterfly and dislikes studying. There are subtle differences in how they are raised, but not enough to explain the drastic differences in personality.

You can also take those same children and place them in an abusive home. Both children will experience fear, loneliness and desperation. But each will express it differently based on their personalities.

The only exception to the rule is people who are sociopaths or who are brain damaged in some way. They may feel the emotions we do, but they process them differently. A sociopath, for example, loses that capacity for empathy. So when they see someone getting hurt, instead of feeling horror, fear and sympathy, they may feel elated and excited.

There are many factors that influence how humans express their feelings. Most of us are born to feel all emotions, but through personality and environment (our filters so to speak), we learn to express our feelings and reactions differently. But we all have the capacity to feel emotions, however we express them.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this helped a whole bunch. thank you. :D