Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

Lately, I cant relax. I tend to shake my leg and bite the

Lately, I can't relax. I tend to shake my leg and bite the insides of my mouth when I'm stressed and lately its been really bad, and now I keep getting paranoid, and every little thing is starting to feel like the end of the world. And now I can't sleep. I keep waking up at odd hours of the night. Last night I finally gave in and took a 1/4 of a sleeping pill.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 3 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Your symptoms are those of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Please tell me, were you better when you were in therapy and when did you end your therapy because of finances? Thanks

Ask Eleanor :

Also, who prescribes your medications, GP or psychiatrist?

Customer:

I was better in the sense that I had someone to talk to without feeling like a burden. I ended therapy a year ago.

Customer:

GP

Ask Eleanor :

I can help you. First, give me a moment to research something.

Customer:

okay

Ask Eleanor :

First, I want you to go to http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/anxiety.htm and take the screening test for GAD. Chat back when you have finished.

Customer:

Okay

Customer:

I finished

Ask Eleanor :

Did you add up your score?

Customer:

yeah it was 47

Ask Eleanor :

Well, you scored very high for having Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I know you are suffering greatly. You need to see a psychiatrist and either go back to your therapist or find a new one. I am going to give you some resources and ideas for finding affordable professional help. Give me a few minutes.

Customer:

okay

Ask Eleanor :

First call the United Way Helpline (#211) and ask for the phone #s of private, non-profit counseling centers in your community. These centers offer excellent therapy/counseling, charge a sliding scale feee based upon income and often have psychiatrists on staff, if not they may be able to refer you to an affordable psychiatrist. You may also call your former therapist and tell him/her about your situation and ask if he/she will see you at a reduced fee. Some therapists will do this. ....continuing.....

Ask Eleanor :

Another option is to go to www.americanpsychotherapy.com to find therpists where you live and call and ask if they see some of their patients pro bono (free) or for a reduced fee. Once you have a therapist, he/she can help you find an affordable psychiatrist. continuing ....

Customer:

okay

Ask Eleanor :

Also, you may to the Partnership for Prescription Assistance website to find information about getting help from major drug companies for your medications. Do you have any further questions for me, dear?

Customer:

no I think this is a good place to start

Customer:

Thank you

Ask Eleanor :

You are so very welcome. Please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my professional time with you and response. You may return to this Q&A for reference at any time after you accept. I wish you all the best in finding the professional help you need and deserve, take care, Eleanor

Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years