Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have been married for 7 years, we have been having problems for three- i have openly dis

I have been married for 7 years, we have been having problems for three- i have openly discussed with me husband to no avail. I recently fell in love with a man who is a registered sex offender-I know everyone says they are not guilty-a woman who he was dating was having her ex taking her to court to get custody of their children, James helped her out fnancially and when he did the ex's mother made up a story that he touched the little girl-the girl was questioned by her mother and she said James did not touch her, she was 4 at the time- the woman married James and had children with him-but when the accusation was made-it doenst go away, he was bullied into signing a plea bargain and got 7 years of his life taken away-I heard this story long before I fell in love with him and I personally have seen how crooked the legal system can be. My husband tries to buy my love-and James cant give me anything but his love? am i crazy if I go with him? he does work-my son lives with his dad he is 1
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I work (voluntarily) with prisoners every week. Because I am not about money and talk to them like the real people they are, I learn a great deal. The legal justice system is cruel, manipulative, unfair, and unjust.

James may very well be morally innocent (though legally guilty). He is wonderful to you and appreciates who you are. You SHOULD be precious to somebody. All the money in the world won't buy you love.

If his love is for real, then you are crazy if you DON'T go with him.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr. Sewell,

I was very happy with your answer- somewhat suprised because most people just hear the word "sex offender"

Do u happen to know the laws of marrying a sex offender -I have a 16 year old son who really likes him- he wants to go live with his dad back in our old hometown which is a hour away from where I live- we live in Texas

Dear friend,

I do not think that there are any laws about marrying a convicted sex offender (I call him that rather than a sex offender, because he may very well not be one). There may be laws about where he may live (certain distance from a school or daycare center), and there may be restrictions on his contact with your son.

For this, I would talk to your local prosecuting attorney or district attorney to find out what the laws are in your state and/or municipality.

If you have further followups, please get back to me. If not, please accept my answer.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC