Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

my son is 17 and only been diagnosed with add but I think it

my son is 17 and only been diagnosed with add but I think it is more as he is getting older. Can aspergers be so mild that you wonder if your child is just strange or if it's somthing more
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Yes Aspergers can be very mild. It is common for people to have limited traits of a disorder, not just developmental disorders like Aspergers but more common disorders such as Depression, OCD or personality disorders. If you take a look at the diagnostic criteria for Aspergers you will see that it is defined by specific criteria. There is no reason why a person might not meet some of the criteria and not others. You should also keep in mind that the diagnostic labels we use (such as Aspergers) are an attempt at giving names to constellations of symptoms we see occurring together. They are far, far from perfect.