It is unfortunate, but this series of symptoms is a common issue for those on serotonin enhancing medications. Agitation, gastrointestinal symptoms and even the "zaps" (which many pharmaceutical companies deny can occur but in practice often does...) can be symptoms of a too sudden withdrawal.
The drug must be carefully titrated only under the guidance of his doctor. Individual responses to this drug vary widely and your son's titration plan will need to be individualized to his situation and biochemistry. What I can say is that these drugs often take several weeks to be titrated and he should not ever just stop taking them.
Supplements like SJW are never to be used in conjunction with a medication that impacts serotonin levels. A condition called serotonin syndrome can result and its effects can be life threatening. So, do not take SJW with this or any other anti-depressant.
Medications like SJW also take 3-5 weeks to build a response. So, little to no impact will be seen if taken on an as needed basis.
Your son will most likely be given medication to ease the transition from his current medication and to eliminate or reduce the side effects. This can be done safely but he will need face to face planning. No "schedule" can be used as we are all very different neurologically. Steven
His doctor is on vacation and he wants to stop taking the drug.
And to be quite frank after this experience I want him off as well. We do not have an appt until 7/19.
Best practice would be to have him seen by any qualified physician as soon as possible as this is entirely too long to wait. I do understand you urgency. Your son is in discomfort and needs to feel better. However, the risks of sudden withdrawal are very real. I ethically must recommend that he sees someone face to face to develop a titration plan. He can come off the drug, just not suddenly. And, to give him the standard 3/4 then 1/2 then 1/4 then none plan over two weeks may raise risk for him. Reactions to serotonin medications can be significant.
If this was my son, even though it would cost to do so, I would have him seen on a urgent basis at an ER or similar facility. That is safest and best for his health. His doctor does not have a referral set up? This is the doctor's obligation to his patients in his absence. Steven
I have a call placed into my doctors referral
i am waiting for a call back