Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My mind in producing interpretations to what people say around

Customer Question

My mind in producing interpretations to what people say around me are saying or doing. I think they are telling me to go away, that I am this and I am that. And sometimes i cant even give or understand the interpretation. I have had a negative past, I think they are purposely reminding of it. Most interpretations are of the negative nature. Only a few are positive. I asked my wife about this interpretations and she told me its not true I should just ignore it. But I find it hard to be convinced. Please Help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your question is very evocative of such deep seated feelings. Have you always had negative feelings about yourself and your self worth and how people feel about you?

Do you tend to obsessive thoughts? Has this been a problem before in your life of having obsessive tendencies and thoughts?

Was there trauma or abuse in your childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in your family?

Have you ever had any treatment for this? If so what type? How did it go?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

I will most likely log off for the night before you reply, but go ahead and reply to these questions and I’ll answer as soon as I log on tomorrow. Okay?

Dr. Mark