psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

I have a hard time with criticism to the point where it depresses

I have a hard time with criticism to the point where it depresses me and makes me uncontrollably angry, it just messes me up and intereferes with my life functioning and what the problem is is that it is no fault of my own i am innocent. What i am talking about is being judged by people on the outside world, like people calling you ugly or looking at you strange. It really hurts my feelings to the point of what i mentioned above, it totally just disrupts my mind through no fault of my own
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

This issue could be resolved somewhat easily in therapy. What you may be feeling may be just a perception of what people are doing but not accurate. Your sense of insecurity could be fueling this perception that people are being critical. By exploring this in a safe setting you could really examine the reason why you think you are being criticized and how to better handle your interactions with others. You can't guess what people are thinking so you can't change that. this isn't your fault but simply perceptions that may not be accurate or you can find a better way to interact with others. Find someone to help you interact and sitll maintain the innocence about this that you do have.

If this is helpful press accept

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what you said doesn't help because it is actually happening it's not perception its real to me. how do you handle it? how do emotionally healthy people handle being called ugly or being rejected?

Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I understand. You can resolve in therapy how to resolve these feelings when people are reacting negatively to you. This can be worked out through becoming a stronger person as you can not change others. You can learn to respond in more positive ways when others react so negatively by developing these skills in a therapeutic setting. These can then transfer to your everyday life. When people are called ugly or are rejected a healthy person learns to not internalize that and takes this on as one's opinion rather than fact. No one you encounter should be given so much power that they change who you are. You are a valuable person whether they feel a certain way or not. You have to develop a strong sense of self so that their comments have less of an impact