Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

do you think that cymbalta and zyprexa are a good combination

do you think that cymbalta and zyprexa are a good combination for depression and bi-polar disease dx by my gp?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...with regards XXXXX XXXXX suggested by your health care provider..
Most people with bipolar disorder, even the very severe forms, can achieve substantial stabilization of mood swings and other symptoms with the proper treatment.To treat acute episodes of mania and depression, and to reduce the cycling, and to prevent relapse, doctors often use medications known as mood stabilizers.
Though, treatment may take several days before benefits are felt. Several medications are approved for the treatment of acute mania, including:

Olanzipine (Zyprexa) Clinicians may also use other medications which do not have formal FDA approval, based on available evidence and clinical experience.

Antidepressants are often used to treat bipolar depression, though some controversy exists as to whether these could worsen mania...these include the selective serotonin such as fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa), and escitalopram (Lexapro). These act specifically on serotonin, making it more available for nerve cells. Effexor and re uptake inhibitors (SSRIs), Cymbalta affect two neurotransmitters, serotonin and nor epinephrine.
At your Drs discretion and while taking into consideration your full medical background and history this combination has been used in the treatment of bipolar disorder and depression..though, time will only tell if its beneficial for you, as its really about trial and error ..before finding the 'right' combination and dose of medication that suits individuals.Though, if the side effects outweigh the benefits ( after the first 2 weeks) it would be a good idea to get back to your Dr to either alter your dose and or switch over to another..
I do hope that my response has helped to clarify further for you...if it has then please 'accept' my response as it also contributes much ' by way of keeping this very valuable service available for you and others alike in the future..
Please take good 'self care now and I wish you all the very best....
Karyn J (ClinicalProfDipCounBmin)