Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

I have a 10 year old boy, no MH issues, very gifted, high IQ.

I have a 10 year old boy, no MH issues, very gifted, high IQ. He has recently quit playing a video game with zombies because he began having nightmares. The nightmares are continuing for about a month now. He has started sleeping with closet light on and door half open. He expresses dread in going to to sleep because of the nightmares. We tried Melatonin last night, and that seemed to help. But I would rather some good CBT tricks that might get him past this. Any ideas?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

There are a few techniques that may help. Incidentally melatonin helps people to get to sleep but does not help with nightmares. He is having the same feelings I have been having with the revival of the "walking dead" in TV and videos. It is scary for no reason. So the best way to deal with this is to create a story with him each night. You might start with, " a boy is having a scary nightmare." you take turns making the story and your job is to get

Dr.Kappler :

the boy in the story to make the scary people go away. Your son will catch on and this type of positive imaging will help in his having better or at least less scary dreams.