cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

I am 65 years old and have an identical twin sister who I finally

I am 65 years old and have an identical twin sister who I finally come to the conclusion that she has been a sociopath all her life. She really has hurted me and many, many people in her life and thinks nothing of it, and just does not care and sometime I think she enjoys hurting people. I can't take it anymore her hurting me, I want to break away from her because she is dangerous. How can I go about doing this she is still my sister?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 3 years ago.

cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing JA

cathy :

are you there?

cathy :

Hi there and nice to see you

Customer:

fine

cathy :

how are holding up tonight?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

trying to hold on

cathy :

okay I understand

cathy :

in your post you say that your sister is dangerous so please tell me how on this?

cathy :

has she killed anyone? tortured small animals? that kind of thing

Customer:

oh no

cathy :

okay so lets go on with this

cathy :

molested any children?

cathy :

set fire to dwellings?

Customer:

no

cathy :

okay so she is probably not a sociopath after all but probably not a nice person who does some manipulative things

cathy :

are you sure she never tortured a family pet or anything like that?

Customer:

well she did throw her dog in the street after 15 years because it was so sick and she said she did not care

cathy :

okay so she is not a sociopath just a really hugely awful person

cathy :

and tell me how she has threatened you?

cathy :

tell me what she has done to you

cathy :

She sounds awful so I know she has hurt you

Customer:

she has stolen from me, try to break up my marriage, broke the beautiful relationship with my other sister with lies, she has hurted many many people and just don't care. too much to write everthing, hurted so many people and tell me she dons not give a *&&*

cathy :

okay and I would just stay away from her.

cathy :

If she is dangerous you have to stay away from her whether she is your sister or nomt

cathy :

not

Customer:

This is what I am thinking of doing

cathy :

yea I would too

cathy :

You cant slap a label on her that she does not meet the criteria for, e.g. sociopath

Customer:

How can an identical twin be so evil

cathy :

but you can sure as heck guard your back and stay away

cathy :

easy

Customer:

ok, true.

cathy :

evil is not genetically based

cathy :

so of course it can happen

cathy :

why not?

cathy :

she sounds very disturbed so maybe you lucked out on the gene pool and she did not

cathy :

no way to know here

cathy :

I cant imagine why she is so angry and so destructive

Customer:

I know

cathy :

you would know better than me

Customer:

Yes,

cathy :

so protect yourself

cathy :

take good care of you

cathy :

and dont worry about it

cathy :

its not you that is the problem

cathy :

its her

cathy :

so all you have to do is protect you, right?

Customer:

Yes

cathy :

okay

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

cathy :

I know this answer does not bring you comfort

cathy :

but at some point? dont you matter too?

Customer:

well it is something I been thinking of, is breaking away from her, to have peace.

cathy :

okay sorry you left. I wanted to chat more but good night now and take care

Customer:

no

cathy :

oh yes do break away

cathy :

you need to protect you on this

cathy :

I so agree with you on this even though as a twin it would go against your nature

cathy :

tough I know

cathy :

some times you have to do that

cathy :

Okay I know you want to go so I am going

cathy :

but do take care of you

cathy :

please put you first?

cathy :

think about this

cathy :

andnight now

cathy :

Cathy

Customer:

well thanks.

cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health