Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

My 35 year old daughter is living on the street and has some

My 35 year old daughter is living on the street and has some mental health issues. She continues to look for someone to take care of her. I would like to get her into a mental health hospital however, she is 35 and not sure if I can initiate this. She needs help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your question is very evocative because this is such a big problem in our society right now. Would she be willing to go to an inpatient setting?

What are the mental health issues she is facing?

Is she using drugs or alcohol?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has very little self esteem, will not look for work and always blaming others. She is always looking for man to take care of her. She just will not try to take care of herself. As far as I know she is not taking drugs or alcohol. I am living in Georgia so not close to the situation. Her mother suggested that she move in with us, however, there that is really not possible at this time. She lived with us for some of her adolesent years, high school in Texas then back with us for a short time after high school. We helped her find a job and got her into an apartment and she was doing fairly well. I had to leave the country for some months and the day we returned she had packed her things and was moving back to Texas with a guy she met over the internet. She has been in Texas since with her mother some of the time and other times with people she met over the internet. Public transportation is not available where we live and she cannot drive.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thank you for responding. I am logging off for the night and I would like to give as thoughtful an answer as I can. So I'll reply tomorrow, okay? Dr. Mark
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
I know you would like an answer as quickly as possible. But there is an unusual quality to the story of your daughter. And so I need to ask more questions to give the best answer for you.

What do I mean by unusual?

She isn't using drugs or alcohol but has no seeming capacity for getting along in the world. That is very unusual EXCEPT if there is some developmental problem:

Is she developmentally challenged? For example, very low IQ?

Or perhaps Asperger Syndrome (Autism spectrum type disorder). Here are some questions to help identify this:

Has she been evaluated as being higher than average intelligence?

Does she make friends easy now and in the past? Did she always play in age appropriate ways and does she have good social skills?

Does she tend to obsess on activities she likes and have a hard time stopping when it's time to do something different?

Does she have repetitive motions and movements? Does she also have certain habits she does over and over?

Does she bring his fingers to his mouth or make facial expressions when talking, when she's unhappy or angry?

Does she have a hard time relating to other people's feelings?

So, if none of the issues above apply to her, what are the mental health issues that you referred to in your original question? What we've discussed so far is extreme lack of motivation. Is there some underlying mental health issue that was diagnosed to account for this?

If so, what treatment did she receive? How did it go?

Any residential hospital will need her cooperation. Would she be willing to go?

I know these are a lot of questions. But as you can see, she's had a very long-term situation that has not changed over time.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is developmentally challenged however she is very manipulative

she does not make friends easily nor does she have good social skills

she does obsess over things like being on the computer or on the phone

I do not see repetitive motions or habits

she did go through a period of some type of germ phobia where she had to shower several times a day, she wouldn't touch much, everything had to be put in plastic bags. She seems to have gotten over that living on the street.

She bites her finger nails.

She has a very hard time relating to other people's feelings, it is always about her.

She has gone through treatments over the years but would never continue.

Certainly her mother and I divorcing and not getting along well was not a good situation for her and for the most part I have not talked to her mother until recently for many years.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
I would answer except for one sentence that needs clarification to make sure I know the situation well enough: you write that she is "developmentally challenged". What do you mean?

What are her developmental challenges?

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was difficult for her to keep up in school and not procressing/maturing in her adult life. It is my opinion.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the added information. It helps a lot. I believe I can now be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how worrisome and confusing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a caring parent. And so this is worrisome because you look at her potential for the future and it seems very dysfunctional. And it is confusing because what to do seems unclear.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. You are correct. It is confusing and it is unclear. Because you do not have enough information. What do I mean?

You have a sense from her that she may be borderline developmentally challenged (retarded) or at least in the low intelligence range. But in what areas is she developmentally weak? We just don't know. Yet this is what needs to be known before the correct facility is selected to house her or at least help her. To send her to mental health hospital may be counterproductive if she truly has a developmental problem and not a mental health problem per se.

Therefore, I would like to recommend that you start with gathering the necessary data. The PNP Center is a good starting point perhaps. They do a lot of assessment work and the also do treatment. They are in the Dallas, TX area. They are nationally recognized for their assessment work. And most importantly, they work with adults. So they can give you a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan. That's the prize here for your daughter.

The PNP Center does Integrated Assessment and Individualized Treatment Plans to Optimize Brain Function, Behavior, and Abilities. Here's their info:

PNP Center

571 West Main Street
Lewisville, TX NNN-NN-NNNNbr/>(972)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like it might be a good option, however, the cost may be out of our reach. She certainly cannot help pay for this and niether will her mother. My concern is that we have tried therapy in the past without much success and this would be another expensive go at it. Unless it is easy or what they want to hear she or her mother just don't seem to want to follow it. Her mother has been there for her and still is so maybe she is willing to do something like this but again the cost at this time is prohibitive.

Also,

I failed to mention that she had been diagnosed with Bi Polar disorder some years ago and has medication (cannot confirm if she is taking it).
Do you know of any other options?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
You are now getting to the heart of the problem, it seems:

In our society, there is no way to force an adult to get treatment. If she is not interested in treatment, all the efforts YOU make are not going to get the results you are hoping so much for. But if SHE wants treatment, nothing will stand in her way. Our society has many options even if she is destitute.

So, this is the framework you're going to have to work from. I can only give you some suggestions. If she has insurance, the PNP Center is a good choice. If she does NOT have insurance, then she will need to get on Medicaid in Texas.

That is a matter of Googling "apply for medicaid {name of city or county, Texas}". Only select sites that are either .gov or .org and not commercial sites so you can get the phone number of where to apply and instructions and forms. Once she's on Medicaid, then she needs to go to the public mental health agency in her county and get in their system.

I work on a limited number of cases each month with a team from the agency in my city as a way to be involved.It doesn't pay much and these people are overworked quite a bit. But I'm impressed with their efforts. As I said, if she's the motivator, it will offer what she needs to at least stabilize her. If she's not motivated, it will not help at all.

I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice