TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Question, I have a few people that have to audit my work.

I have a few people that have to "audit" my work. We had a past friendship that I cutoff do to their bad behavior and they over and over again crossed my boundaries. I had to recently take the problem to senior management. Thy would either repeatly change my work or making me change more things than necessary saying it was wrong when it is not. They have had a few different people (about 4) review my work. But, these people are all friends and it keeps continuing. I am not sure anymore if I should just say nothing (because it does not seem to help) and if management ask why they say my work has mistakes that I disagree with than discuss the problem then. These people in my opinion are very controlling and they enjoy seeing you cry. I called out of work today because I just don't want to deal with it today. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is always a difficult situation when you work with others who bring their personal issues to work with them and take it out on you. Maintaining a neutral work environment is always the best way to go, but often people are unable to keep themselves, and their feelings, out of work.

It sounds like you have done a good job in trying to deal with these co workers and their behavior. Taking the steps you have should have done something to help. So far, it sounds like that has not been the case. Here are some other ideas you might want to try:

Approaching senior management and asking for someone more neutral (read: doesn't have personal issues with you) to oversee your work. Let the manager know that you feel the situation has lost objectivity and having someone new may help your productivity increase.

If senior management will not work with you, then start documenting your interactions with these co workers. If they treat you unfairly, then write down what they say to you and what your response is. Note any witnesses who see the behavior. Also, note the time and date. The more detail you have, the better your case. When you feel you have enough, go to Human Resources and ask for help.

Start looking for a new position. Fix up your resume and start asking around if any positions are open. Network as much as you can. Even if there is not a lot of work right now, you may be first in line to call if something does open up. While you are waiting, get your references lined up and brush up on your skills. If you have the time and money, take a course related to your job. Of course, keep your job search quiet and don't let anyone at work know. It may do you more harm.

I hope this has helped you,