TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello. Im afraid I might be suffering from intrusive thoughts,

Hello. I'm afraid I might be suffering from intrusive thoughts, however, they aren't similar to anything I've read online. I'm not having inappropriate or violent thoughts. It's more like i'm distracted and I'm aware that I'm distracted. It's almost like I'm psyching myself out. For instance I would be watching a movie and then notice that I'm not really paying attention to the movie which would cause me to ask myself "why can't i focus on this?" After reading about intrusive thoughts I can't stop thinking about it because I'm afraid It might be more serious, but none of my symptoms align with anything else. Sometimes I have a tendency to make something out of nothing so I was just wondering if that's what I'm doing here?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I need to ask some questions for clarification.

Are you having any other symptoms?

When did this start?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont' believe I'm experiencing any other symptoms at all. It started a couple months ago. It's sort of like I'm analyzing my own thoughts.

It sounds like your problem may be more related to anxiety than any serious diagnosis. I say this because you are able to forget about your intrusive thoughts for a period of time before you remember them and they come back. For someone who has a more serious issue, that is not possible. They usually live with the symptoms and are not able to forget about them at all.

If it would make you feel better, consider seeing a therapist for an evaluation. You can find one through your doctor or you can search on line at It can put your mind at ease knowing that there is nothing more serious going on. Also, you may want to see the therapist briefly to work on your anxiety. Though it is not uncommon to over think things and worry, if you find that it is interfering in your life, short term therapy can make you feel better.

I hope this has helped you,