AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

My daughter in law became addicted to prescription meds due

My daughter in law became addicted to prescription meds due to severe headaches. She did an out patient program and relapsed We were all set to send her to the Novous Center in Florida today only to find out it is run by Scientologist and doing deeper research has made us do a 180 degree turn from that idea. We are really at a loss. She needs something immediately. any recommmendation?

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer - Let's see if I can help here

AgapeDoc :

I agree with your decision to refrain from sending her to a place you are not comfortable with.

AgapeDoc :

I have dealt with this issue (prescription med addiction) more and more in recent years!

AgapeDoc :

When I need to make a referral I refer to Glendale Adventist Alcohol/Drug servicesXXXXXGlendale, Ca. 91205 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

AgapeDoc :

This is also run by a religious group, but in my experience they make a very conscious effort not to "convert" or shove their views down anyones throat. And I can definitely say that those that are referred there are heads and shoulders above any others in terms of recovery - full and long term.

AgapeDoc :

The down side that I face with my clients is that many can't afford it. Like any residential treatment center, it's going to cost - however, if you have the means (and it seems as though you do as you had plans for a residential center already) I would get her there right away.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing so far?

Customer:

Cost is a factor. They do have insurance and that was going to cover most of the cost at he center in Fla. However they are in debt and afraid of going further but what are the choices. They also have a one year old son.

Customer:

My husband just found the Florida Detox center which has been on Dr. Phil's program. Do you know of this place?

AgapeDoc :

Insurance is going to help :) I know cost is a factor, but you have to weigh out everything - staying addicted is going to cost more :(

AgapeDoc :

Yes, I am aware of the place you mentioned in Florida and I have nothing bad to say about it - if that fits your needs better, by all means move forward with that.

Customer:

How about something good to say?

AgapeDoc :

Oh yes, I didn't mean to put it in that light.... I'm sure it is an effective place and not to sound weird, but I do trust what Dr. Phil lets get on his programs so I would say that I trust it. I only meant that I don't have the kind of first hand experience with this facility as I do with the one I mentioned.Please forgive me for speaking so frankly, but I have dealt with this so much

Customer:

OK I just talked with my son and after talking further with the therapist at Novous they have made the decision to go there. We'll all hope for the best for her. Thanks for your help. Peace, Janet