AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

hello, i have just booked my first councelling session, what

Customer Question

hello,
i have just booked my first councelling session, what should i do to prepare for it and what should i expect having never been before?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Kelley :

Hi. Thanks for using JustAnswer! During the first session the counselor will be asking questions to get to know you, your history, what is going on right now, your treatment goals, etc. I would also if you have any questions, such as how do I contact you in an emergency, what type of therapy will you be using with me, how often will I see you, etc take them with you during your first meeting and ask them then. Here is a good article that also goes into a little more detail http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/your-first-psychotherapy-session/ Please let me know if you have anymore questions, I am here to help!

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

also what in your opinion is the most useful information to give a counceller when seeking advice? how is the best way to make sure she is able to help me to her full ability

Customer:

and what is the 1 question i should fear the most? i really want to make sure that i am as open as i can be in order to help her do her job so in your opinion what can i do to be a good client?

Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the follow up - let me see if I can help here...

Just by reading your questions I am sure you are on the right track :) OK.... I would love if the clients that I see in my office came in and posed these questions to me. My guess is that your therapist would love you to ask those questions in your first session.

Here is how I would answer the questions for you.

The most important or useful information is likely to be what you expect to get out of therapy. In other words, if you can tell your therapist what you want to be different as a result of therapy - that will help tremendously :)

As far as fearing anything, I don't think there is anything to fear. Having said that, change is not easy for any of us - in fact it can be very challenging. However, it is not to be feared. Your therapist is there to guide you through that and if you put forth effort (and I suspect you will, given that you have already been so proactive) you will come to love the changes you will make.

If I have been helpful, please don't forget to press the accept button. I wish you much success, let me know how it goes :)
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.