Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

I am feeling better as the few weeks are going by with new

I am feeling better as the few weeks are going by with new medication doses. I think before I had PMS most of the time with the increasing amt of estrogen in my prempro combo. This time they cut the dose down lower than it has ever been, and increased the progesterone level to highest it's ever been. Could it have been so simple? I submitted 5 changes I would like to see in my unit and without mentioning where the idea came from the supervisor said "it was suggested " to have a huddle every morning to discuss issues of concern ,or new ideas being implemented( before it was a whimsy that took hold amongst the bff's) and to discuss them.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
Yes, for some women the reproductive hormone balance can be key in emotional health. I'm glad things seem to be going much better for you. Did you have another question for me or where you giving me an update of your progress?
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience: 15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was not able to stay on my computer- I did not get a text message letting me know you were on.

I am giving an update- I am feeling a lot better. I seem to be able to tolerate the same strange behavior that used to infuriate me and that I seemed to have a need to make a comment on before. The one annoying one has been better - I still do not trust her but have decided that she will be this way no matter what. It seems like the less I let her annoy me the less interested she is to do more! Ironically- the one that had been friendly to me until the annoying one came back to work has found a new bff to be with and is making her feel less assured of herself. Tried to lure me in to make a comment as well. "I guess she has found a new friend and has forgotten me" Hence why she has a need to come around me for being a pal.Perhaps it will help her understand whey I was so upset losing one buddy after another to other jobs and the same woman deleting me over the annoying one. Are you able to follow this? I am able to observe instead of engaging. I have always been a people watcher and observer. People , including charge nurses have always consulted me for my perspective.

As it turns out - I submitted a 5 point plan on improving our unit. My boss suggested one of these ideas without revealing where idea came from. Now they all like this idea. I have not said a word. Also a "charge" position will be granted to one of us and some of the duties were ones listed on my 5 pt plan. I have put in for it.Why do I feel dread of being rejected? It is really what got in the way in the first place of not feeling respected,being take advantage of for my extra time and efforts.your comments on any of these

Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
Dread of rejection is usually an issue that stems from past rejections...most often starting in childhood or adolescence. It can sometimes be a protective mechanism (but not always a healthy one) by subconsciously pushing us to avoid situations in which rejection is a possibility. The usual best treatment for such is long term weekly psychotherapy with a live therapist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wow! that seems extreme to me! I think part of it is that in nursing- esp where I work - it is brown nosing that gets you ahead- not experience and performance. I get an "attaboy" gift card the other day and thought- oh good - things are better. then when I emailed my interest in the extra pay position get a semi rebuff. I thought maybe I was being too sensitive again but when I read it to my spouse and then a friend that worked there with me it was "what kind of response was that?" my sense of perception is in question yet I feel as though on a daily basis my take on people is right on. So perhaps it is my experience with this group that I will be disappointed. I do know I get tough and study up and acheive but it always seems since I left even high school that there have been people around me that are not supportive and ready to bring you down. For the last few years I have weaned myself off from ones wanting to be around and are not good for you. unfortunately I have insecurity sneak in and bring me down and vulnerable - then a good sobbing once in a while. I will take advantage of the EAP but not sure what to tell them about why I am there. any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
Brown nosing can get you ahead in almost any work environment. Also, keep in mind fears of rejection are normal to a certain extent. Most all humans want to succeed in life...both professionally and in our personal lives (i.e. being loved). The amount of fear in humans is on a bell curve...and so you only need to "treat it" (e.g. psychotherapy) if it's moderate to severe...or even if it's mild if it's bothersome.

Keep in mind, that psychotherapy (in my opinion) is not just for "sick" or "crazy" people. I think most humans can benefit from this if you have an intellectual curiousity into learning about your own psyche, and how your past and subconscious affect your current behaviors).

I hope this helps clarify. Anything else?
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I can include this on my list when going to face to face therapy. I just am insulted that I have worked in ICU setting most of my career- still do on prn basis. It has been my experience in this unit that my qualifications are overlooked and there is a constant competitiveness whereas I feel more of a comraderie(sp) in ICU where it is acknowledged that you are someone that makes the effort to learn over and above the average RN and it is not taken personally to either snap at each other under stress and not hold you to it or hassle each other to alleviate tension and to amuse ourselves! In this unit I sometimes feel as though I am walking on eggshells , or attending a teaparty I didn't necessarily get an invitation to. In general I have few friends but am very loyal and passionate about. They do not necessarily know one another . Some of the friends used to work with me in this unit and we get together. The women that are there now I have nothing in common with and would never spend outside time with- I thought this was contributing to my feeling down while there. After 9 hours of just keeping my nose to the grindstone - then following up with paperwork and preparation for the next work day I feel very unchallenged and like I am just putting in hours.Then to feel as though I am not considered as capable as some of the others that have limited experience and are so busy brown nosing and tooting thier own horns it is hard to swallow quietly. The last 2 supervisors were kind enough to express to me that they knew I was the most qualified( which is not the point- I am usually hard enough on myself I don't need extra help with humility)and pointed out not to take what they said personally or internally.Am I making any sense?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
You are making sense. All i can say is, such is the world. It's not always fair; brown nosing & being cut throat help you get ahead (look at politics). You have to take life on life's terms...choose your battles. If you're not bitter about parts of the world, then you're blind...

...but there is no point obsessing on the dark parts of reality. You only live once...and life's too short...you deserve to be healthy & happy...live every day like it's your last...
Dr. K, Psychiatrist