TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have had 3 or 4 major events, and cannot seem to get a grip

I have had 3 or 4 major events, and cannot seem to get a grip on them so my mind is constantly working for solutions and it has substantially effected my motivation to do the things I should be doing leaving me with work burn out and loss of clear direction. I am 62 years old and also am experiencing the feeling of being old which is not helping. At one point I could not control my anxiety so my physician prescribed Alprazolam 0.5 mg--I take a half pill 4 times a day and I believe it has helped but my thoughts just keep coming. This is the first time I have had these problems and my physician is my personal Dr. an Internist.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like that as a result of the traumas you experienced, you are having symptoms of anxiety.

When people experience a trauma, it takes a toll on their emotional well being. Sometimes it is a matter of adjusting to the effects of the trauma. Other times, it is such a dramatic event, that the toll becomes overwhelming and the emotional overload creates a problem such as anxiety disorder. Since you experienced more than one trauma, chances are you are feeling the effects in a more dramatic way.

In your case, it was a good first step to see your doctor. You always want to rule out any possible physical issue first. Your doctor prescribing the mild anti anxiety medication was also a good step. Seeing if a mild medication can take off enough of the edge to help you is exactly what you should try first.

However, as it is often the case, medications can help some with the symptoms but the underlying problem is still there. And as long as it is there, you will experience symptoms.

The good news here is that anxiety based problems are one of the easiest issues to work with. It is a matter of discovering the origin of the problem and talking it out. Some self help work is also helpful.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

Here are some additional resources that will help:

Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life by Jasmin Lee Cori and Robert Scaer

After Trauma: Begin your Recovery from the Effects of Trauma (Lynda Hudson's Unlock Your Life Audio CDs for Adults) by Lynda Hudson

The Mind-Body Workbook for PTSD: A 10-Week Program for Healing After Trauma by XXXXX XXXXX Block and Stanley H. Block

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Let me know if I can help any further,