TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Expressing concerns to wifes psychiatrist

if i have concerns about my wife's well-being, how can I (or can I) relay that information to her pschiatrist? Most troubling is her difficulty to wake up in the morning even with 4 alarm clocks and me calling.  I am cnocerned that the medication she is on needs to be adjusted.  I am worried about my kids safety in the event they need help in the night or morning.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There is nothing wrong with you contacting your wife's psychiatrist and telling him/her that you are concerned with your wife's inability to wake up in the morning. You may also let them know of any other concerns you have regarding your wife or your wife's situation. The psychiatrist can listen and take notes on what you say. However, they are not allowed to confirm or tell you anything about your wife's treatment unless she signs a consent.

If you feel you want to always be able to exchange information with your wife's psychiatrist, then ask your wife to sign a consent. The psychiatrist should have consent forms available. When your wife goes in next time to see her doctor, she can sign a consent that allows you and the psychiatrist to talk about your wife's case.

Another option is to go and see the psychiatrist with your wife next time she has an appointment. The psychiatrist can then talk with you with your wife in the room and her consent given verbally. This also would allow your wife a chance to confirm your information and you also would be able to hear the instructions and medication information for your wife so you can best help her.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,