TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My friend was doing some research for her college course and

My friend was doing some research for her college course and said she thinks I might be bipolar because I have periods of time where I’m energetic and I want to do a lot of things but then I have periods of time where I want to be left alone and worry about everything. My mind races with many Ideas I think are good at the time but then a couple of days later I wonder why I did them. I loose my temper a lot and have become so worked up that I have to be restrained so I don’t hurt others around me so I was wondering if it could be bipolar and if I should go and see my doctor?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Everyone experiences mood swings. It is very common to feel sad one minute and be laughing the next. The mood swings become Bipolar when you experience the following symptoms:

Elevated mood to the point of interfering with your life also described as "euphoria" like feeling.

Excessive spending regardless of income and budget

Over sexual behavior, such as sleeping with anyone and having sex frequently during the day but not feeling satisfied.

Pressured and/or loud speech and can't slow down

Difficulty sleeping but not feeling tired.

Hyperactivity

Feelings of importance beyond the normal everyday feeling good about yourself.

Many people can experience a mania episode for an extended period of time, even years. These occur between the depression which can cause low energy, loss of interest in life, suicidal feelings and feelings of guilt.

Most people develop Bipolar disorder around their teens to early 20. It can show up as late as age 50 however. If you have family that has been diagnosed with Bipolar, your chances increase for getting the disorder.

You should see your doctor for a referral to a therapist or psychiatrist. Most doctors have some idea about Bipolar, but a qualified therapist or psychiatrist can provide a full evaluation and diagnosis for you. To find a therapist, search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/ or http://www.cpdirectory.com/cgi-bin/index.pl.

Treatment usually involves medication and on going therapy to help you cope with the symptoms. Many people are able to lead full lives with treatment.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,
Kate