Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

im concerned about my friends deteriorating mental health and

im concerned about my friends deteriorating mental health and not sure what to do? please could you give me some advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

could you clarify-

how old is your friend?

Is your friend suffering from depression, anxiety, schizophrenia etc (if you know/what are the symptoms)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she is 24 years old she is severely depressed,bad anxiety,always on edge and very jumpy, hears voices which she is really struggling to cope with, acting very bizarre shuts herself away from the out side world and become distant, hostile towards people pushing her friends and family away,a rapid weight loss, not sleeping. i am concerned bout her wellfair and safety, she has 2 young daughters that she had taken of her due to her mental health in which she is allowed to see and spend time with supervized once a month but she has chosen not to see them at all and has taken all photographes of them down and away pushing them away
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon, and thanks for writing to JA.

You have reason to be concerned, not just from the depression and anxiety - but from what may be hallucinations and/or psychotic behavior.

This being the case, I would urge your friend to go as quickly as possible to an Emergency Room for a psychiatric evaluation. Her behavior may present a danger to self or others which may warrant, at minimum, a stay for observation. It may also warrant intensive treatment on an inpatient basis.

While it would be preferable for you (or family members) to urge your friend to seek an assessment/evaluation, (and accompanying her to the visit would be most helpful!)... if you have serious concerns about her causing harm to herself or someone else, you may want to consider contacting the police or an ambulance. The police may assess her and call an ambulance. In some cases, ambulances will accept a call directly and proceed without police involvement.

It is commendable that you are trying to help your friend but, ultimately, make sure you remain protected yourself, in the event that she is dangerous to others (it doesn't sound like she is at this point, but that may change). Again, if the concerns grow intense enough, and your friend is unwilling to voluntarily go with you or a family member to the ER, your next step may be to call the authorities.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck. Please click <ACCEPT>, unless you have further questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she also thinks that something is going to get her in her sleep she is confussed,and doesnt seem to appear as if she really knows whats going on. she is struggling to remember things. she is scarred and frightened of the voices and gets into a state of distress very easily, what is the ER if have to take her?do you have any idea what swort of mental illness this could be?
Sorry. ER is the EMERGENCY ROOM.

With regard to the diagnosis, it is unethical to provide a diagnosis third party over the internet... but your friend may be showing signs of psychotic-like behavior. S/he may also have a substance abuse issue, severe depression, or even mania. There could also be an underlying medical cause.

That's why getting her to be evaluated as soon as you can is likely the wisest choice.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck.

Thanks. Please click <ACCEPT> unless you have further questions or concerns.
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure